Important note: If you have registered as a new user and have been awaiting decision upon your registration
for longer than 48 hours, please contact 'email@example.com'.
Molecular External Quality Assessment 2018 - Important note: please do not submit EQA data to RubeNS. Visit this page for more information.
The aim of this initiative is to develop a web-accessible and quality-controlled nucleotide database for the WHO Laboratory Network.
This database is used as a tool to track rubella sequence diversity and monitor elimination of virus strains.
This database currently (2018-12-14 14:29:38 +0000) contains 2640 viral sequences.
The quality of all submitted sequences is checked before depositing in the database. We also provide tools:
- To search any combination of fields in the RubeNS database,
- To find identical or similar Rubella sequences
- To genotype Rubella strains (based on a 739 bp fragment of the E1 gene)
If you use data from RubeNS, please cite the database and ensure that you have permission from the submitters for any data that you use.
- Please ensure that you have read the Terms and Conditions
- Please cite the Rubella virus nomenclature update: 2013 - WER
- The WHO rubella virus sequences covering the 739 bp genotyping fragment of E1, can be downloaded from this link:
Fasta format reference sequences
Accessing the database
To access the data and to use the analytical tools, you are required to register. Registration for academic use is free.
If you have any questions about the database, please email the curators
This website was developed and maintained by the Virus Reference Department, Colindale, Public Health England
For suggestions and feedback on RubeNS contact David Williams (firstname.lastname@example.org)